What Is It?
A thesis is the result of a hard work during a course on the student’s major; it shows the level of preparedness of the author to their supervisor. In the thesis, it is necessary to write only what you reached or developed personally. If the work is done by a group, be sure to specify all the participants. A supervisor checks it and makes corrections, if it is necessary.
Writing a thesis is the actual way to inform colleagues about the conducted research or clinical observation. So, let us help you with preparation of your best thesis possible.
Where to Begin: Composition
The required structural elements of the thesis are :
- The title page is the first page, formatted according to strict rules.
- The headings are indicating the pages, such as a brief summary (no points at the end, the last words of the header is connected to the page numbers, each title begins with a capital letter).
- The introductory chapter covers the relevance of the theme study, the identification of problems and contradictions, the formulation of goals, object, subject and survey hypotheses; arguments in favor of selected research methods, the definition of theoretical significance, scientific novelty and practical value of the results, disclosure of the thesis structure, list of structural elements, the rationale for their arrangement.
- The main part is a detailed examination of techniques, technology and research theory, generalization of the results, an accurate reflection of the conceptual apparatus, the full disclosure of the topic of the investigation. The main part of the thesis must demonstrate the author’s ability to present the material in logical, concise, accurate, clear arguments.
- The summary and conclusion are not just lists of your results, not a their mechanical summation, but the quintessence of everything new and significant in your work.
- An important element of any work is a bibliography or a list of references. It is usually enough to read the requirements for it carefully. There is no standard bibliography design model, so you should stick to the proposed design of the Organizing Committee. If they want the name of the author in bold and a dash between each paragraph, do it. The bibliography is to contain only those works that are directly cited in the text. Otherwise, you risk writing a long list of “all important” scientific works that the organizing committee will cut mercilessly.
- This is usually part of the text, which has the reference value.
- This means that the selected topic should be useful for modern science. The relevance of the dissertation should be described in the paper (just 1-2 pages).
- Defining research problems. This means that it is necessary to identify the contradiction between the facts and their interpretation by other scientists.
- Note the subject and object of the research. These two components relate to each other as the general and the particular. The object is a phenomenon or process that generates the problem. The subject is within the boundaries of the object and includes connection elements.
- Purpose of the research. It should be constructive and clear. It should express the basic meaning of the problem, as well as the expected outcomes.
- Methodological basis of the research is an essential element of the introductory part of the thesis. Methods can be empirical and theoretical. The first group serves as a means of collecting facts and aimed at describing phenomena. The methods of the second type reveal the essence of phenomena, identify relationships and patterns of communication.
- It is also important to indicate the research base, the institution in which the dissertation work is created.
Choose a Problem
Firstly, the topic should contain something new. It is better not to take a topic which has been studied from many angles. Secondly, it should be moderately narrow: you have to make a report for 10-15 minutes.
Explore Your Idea and Dig Deeper
The actual task on this step is to detect a specific area within issue you have focused on. Let’s say, you are writing a thesis on computer science. Within-it , there may be many aspects, such as hardware, software, and programming. However, such broad issues cannot serve as a basis for writing a good thesis. Something more specific, like “The Influence of Steve Jobs on the modern computer industry”, provides a more precise focus.
Now it is the hardest part. Do not step aside from the topic and observe the logic of its development.
Find out the Type and the Purpose of the Paper
Typically, these parameters are specified by the supervisor of the work. If you write an evidentiary document, its purpose is a definite proof that targets a particular audience. If the aim is to write a descriptive document, its purpose is to describe something for the audience.
The first time is always scary. It is very scary indeed. Still any professor probably remembers how their knees were shaking when they approached the podium, clutching papers.
So, we wish you good luck with creation of your thesis and making a good presentation! We hope that we have given you some useful advice.
You can read more about the dissertation having followed the link, and how to work on it.